Aspiration! Is it needed or not?

Cycle help, AAS info, general information & exchange of opinions

A.font817

Aspiration! Is it needed or not?

Post by A.font817 »

Read this short article and let me know what you think! I see this topic brought up a lot.

Note: The World Health Organization (WHO) states in their latest advice that aspirating is unnecessary, and frequently causes more harm than good.

The act as aspirating was traditionally performed as safety measure to prevent one from accidentally injecting directly into a blood vessel. In order to perform this simple procedure, one must have fully inserted the needle into the injection site. Once the needle has been fully inserted, but before depressing the plunger, gently draw (pull) back on the plunger by a few millimeters. If no blood enters the barrel, you are safe to proceed with the injection. If blood pours back into the barrel, you have entered a blood vessel and need to relocate the syringe.

Seeing traces or specks of blood is not indicative that you have entered a blood vessel. Typically, when a vein (blood vessel) has been threaded, blood will pour into the barrel when pulling back the plunger. If you do thread a blood vessel, you do not necessarily have to completely remove the syringe and start over again. First, try pulling the needle out 1/4-1/2 inch and then try aspirating again. If blood does not pour into the barrel after this 2nd attempt, then you have exited the blood vessel and are safe to proceed. If blood does continue to enter the barrel, you will have to remove the needle and find a new injection site.

Aspiration is no longer recommended by any of the major health organizations.

Is Aspirating Required?
Answer: Many AAS users do not aspirate when injecting. It is considered a bit of an outdated methodology.

The reason aspiration is no longer taught is that the major injection sites lack nerves or significant surface blood vessels. Furthermore, even a tiny shift in movement while pinning can make the difference between hitting a blood vessel or missing, so even if you aspirate, you can still end up hitting a vessel.

The act of aspirating also involves significant movement which causes further trauma to the muscle. If by chance you inject into a vein, it will nearly immediately collapse, and is entirely harmless. It's nearly impossible to inject intravenously while injecting IM at a ninety degree angle.

According to the CDC:

Aspiration: “Aspiration is the process of pulling back on the plunger of the syringe prior to injection to ensure that the medication is not injected into a blood vessel. Although this practice is advocated by some experts, the procedure is not required because no large blood vessels exist at the recommended injection sites.”

STTI International Nursing Research Congress Vancouver, July 2009:

"Aspiration is not indicated for SC injections."

"Aspiration is not indicated for IM injections."

Organizations which state aspiration is not necessary:

Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
Department of Health Services (DHS)
American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
U.K. Department of Health (DoH)
World Health Organization (WHO)

cdubw44

Re: Aspiration! Is it needed or not?

Post by cdubw44 »

Well since it is the WHO and the CDC recommending not to do it, I believe I will from now on. Ha my wife just slams it in and bam done.
Jozifp103

Post by Jozifp103 »

As long as you're pinning in the proper IM injection sites (delts, upper outer quad, ventroglutes, glutes, etc...) there's no need to aspirate. These spots are chosen because they are known to not have any large vessels to worry about. Even if you were to accidentally inject right into a vein in one of these spots, the blood vessels are so small that they will immediately burst under the pressure of injection. Completely harmless. No need to aspirate as long as you pin the proper spots.
MONSTRO

Post by MONSTRO »

I always aspirate because is easy and better be safe than sorry . But is great to know is right spots no need , so this another great information here on the best forum for bodybuilders.