Tweaking a gene muscle grow twice as strong

Cycle help, AAS info, general information & exchange of opinions

DarrenW29

Tweaking a gene muscle grow twice as strong

Post by DarrenW29 »

Tweaking a gene makes muscles twice as strong
Salk scientists and their collaborators find new avenue for treating muscle degeneration in people who can't exercise
LA JOLLA, CA—An international team of scientists has created super-strong, high-endurance mice and worms by suppressing a natural muscle-growth inhibitor, suggesting treatments for age-related or genetics-related muscle degeneration are within reach.
The project was a collaboration between researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, and two Swiss institutions, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) and the University of Lausanne.
The scientists found that a tiny inhibitor may be responsible for determining the strength of our muscles. By acting on a genome regulator (NCoR1), they were able to modulate the activity of certain genes, creating a strain of mighty mice whose muscles were twice a strong as those of normal mice.

the mouse developed stronger muscles than normal, even though it
“There are now ways to develop drugs for people who are unable to exercise due to obesity or other health complications, such as diabetes, immobility and frailty,” says Ronald M. Evans, a professor in Salk’s Gene Expression Lab, who led the Salk team. “We can now engineer specific gene networks in muscle to give the benefits of exercise to sedentary mice.”
Johan Auwerx, the lead author from EPFL, says molecules such as NCoR1 are molecular brakes that decrease the activity of genes. Releasing the brake by mutation or with chemicals can reactivate gene circuits to provide more energy to muscle and enhance its activity.
In an article appearing last week in the journal Cell, the Salk researchers and their collaborators reported on the results of experiments done in parallel on mice and nematodes. By genetically manipulating the offspring of these species, the researchers were able to suppress NCoR1, which normally acts to inhibit the buildup of muscle tissues.
In the absence of the inhibitor, the muscle tissue developed much more effectively. The mice with the mutation became true marathoners, capable of running faster and longer before showing any signs of fatigue. In fact, they were able to cover almost twice the distance run by mice that hadn’t received the treatment. They also exhibited better cold tolerance.
Unlike previous experiments that focused on “genetic accelerators” this work shows that suppressing an inhibitor is a new way to build muscle. Examination under a microscope confirmed that the muscle fibers of the modified mice are denser, the muscles are more massive, and the cells in the tissue contain higher numbers of mitochondria—cellular organelles that deliver energy to the muscles.
Similar results were also observed in nematode worms, allowing the scientists to conclude that their results could be applicable to a large range of living creatures.
The scientists have not yet detected any harmful side effects associated with eliminating the NCoR1 receptor from muscle and fat tissues. Although the experiments involved genetic manipulations, the researchers are already investigating potential drug molecules that could be used to reduce the receptor’s effectiveness.

Tren4life

Re: Tweaking a gene muscle grow twice as strong

Post by Tren4life »

How could we do it at home :D?
?
Haha find me a way to do it and I will be lab rat here
MONSTRO

Post by MONSTRO »

Tren , Darren and Monstro are the 3 crazyest lab rats here in this forum. I should be smarter at 44 years old but im not , i love to discover new thinks and combinations . Always looking to learn more and more .
Tren4life

Post by Tren4life »

MONSTRO wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:17 pm Tren , Darren and Monstro are the 3 crazyest lab rats here in this forum. I should be smarter at 44 years old but im not , i love to discover new thinks and combinations . Always looking to learn more and more .
I am telling you, find me a way how to do that coz i have no clue and i will do it. All for strength.

Howndo scientists do that to mice? I could do same to me lol
DarrenW29

Post by DarrenW29 »

Lol for sure I will trial anything I can my only concern is to get huge as possible and nothing else matters and find the secret or best way for all of us to grow huge
Tren4life

Post by Tren4life »

DarrenW29 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:44 pm Lol for sure I will trial anything I can my only concern is to get huge as possible and nothing else matters and find the secret or best way for all of us to grow huge
I found something bad in it :(

Supposedly the mice were way stronger and had way energy but at the same time they have been obese. It interacts somehow with body fat. So fuck it, we need something else
ZPM

Post by ZPM »

I didn't see anything in the research paper about obesity. I have seen talk that this treatment would benefit obese people who can't exercise, however. The results of the study seem to show increased strength from reduced connective tissue between muscle bundles, combined with thicker bundles filling in the freed up space. The muscles are "denser" and, thus, stronger for the same bulk. Additionally, there is an increase in bulk itself. So, increased strength is coming from two aspects.

Nothing was said of supporting structures, like tendons. I've got to wonder if they could take all that additional force. Women who often don't want bulk could benefit from the strength-from-density aspect. Meanwhile, men and women who pursue bulk could benefit from that aspect. However, both at the same time might be too much for tendons, joints, and even bones to tolerate.

Where's that Guinea pig? :))

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3225739/

P.S. The paper mentions that the modified mice, surprisingly, metabolized fat for energy more so than the control mice. This might be where the mention of fat, with respect to energy, comes from.