Covid - Lockdown - 30+ Days no Bench - Strength Retention

Questions & suggestions,routines,videos,trainers,and other information about training
ckcrown84

Covid - Lockdown - 30+ Days no Bench - Strength Retention

Post by ckcrown84 »

~The Bench Press~
COVID-19 has tasked all of us to challenge our training knowledge and find new exciting ways to train and challenge ourselves. If you fancy yourself a ‘powerlifter’ or bencher (ME!) you have two primary goals.
1) Maintain as much strength output as possible
2) Grow some new baby muscles where you can
As my go-to exercise I chose Pushups, it only made sense. I have been writing and preaching that Pushups can do wonders for bench, especially since it is a compound movement, scalable (to an extent), and works the same damn muscles as the BENCH.
As Lockdown approaches an end (I hope) I needed to get an assessment workout in to see:
1) If my pushup routine implementation was effective at preserving my strength
2) Where my programming should start once gyms open. Starting points are kinda a big deal. I promise.
I put some feelers out and thankfully _______ was
So What’s what now?
March 20th 435 2x1 – Extremely Fast
April 27th 445 2x1 – A bit grindy on the 2nd
Thoughts?
Its expected my bench is a bit down from March 20th when I was in full training mode.
Today I haven’t benched in over a month and have a bit of rust so I am extremely satisfied with 445.
Today tells me that my Pushup routine DOES have a very good dynamic correspondence to my bench (hence I haven’t had a big reduction in output) and that when I go back to training I can pretty much start my bench back at my last weeks of training before gyms closed. I was able to preserve that much strength despite not having touched a bench press in over a month.
Take this, stew on it and ask yourself… What could YOU have done to better improve yourself during this downtime.

PSL Sponsored Athlete
Inbox is always open!
Check out our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2599597616951957/