How often do you "switch it up" with your training?

Questions & suggestions,routines,videos,trainers,and other information about training
Jozifp103

How often do you "switch it up" with your training?

Post by Jozifp103 »

Now I never really bought into the "muscle confusion" fad that was glamorized by the 2000's era workout videos. But I do feel that workouts can get stale and it's important to switch it up every now and then to keep progressing and growing. Why do workouts get stale and progress slows down? That's a topic for another thread which I plan on researching and doing a write-up on soon.

For me, I usually pick ONE workout in each of my daily routines to switch up every 4 weeks or so. For example I will pick ONE workout from my arm routine, ONE workout from my chest routine, ONE workout from my shoulder routine, etc...and switch it up after 4 weeks. Then after another 4 weeks I will pick another workout from each of my daily routines to switch up. So after several 4-week periods my entire routine has been refreshed so my entire routine changes about 4-5 times a year.

However I want to hear from you guys. Roughly how long does it take for a workout to start to get "stale" or less effective? How often do you switch up your exercises? Or your entire routines? What's your strategy with this?

Mobster

Re: How often do you "switch it up" with your training?

Post by Mobster »

As and when required. Even the 4 weeks you select makes no actual sense. One reply on a forum we're familiar with had one member stating that newbies needed to change it up every 2 weeks. There is and always will be some variation between individuals. Therefore a bottom line is a simple one - change ONLY as and when the current routine stops working. Arguably for the majority that's every 12 weeks or so. There's a LOT of study in that area to back it up.

It's also worth looking at, as per a reply of mine elsewhere, at what Strength and Conditioning Coaches do with super expensive athletes and teams. The MINIMUM macro cycle is 4-8 weeks That allows for big games, competitions and events and is usually a case of 'easing back' rather than restarting from a base line and working to a mini-peak.

In bodybuilding I've suggested even longer - working with nature. So it's easier to bulk and work for power when it's cold and get ripped and stay lean in the warmer times. Most of my own best work has come from 12-16 week training cycles.

The very idea of 'muscle confusion' came from the need for Bodybuilding magazines coming out monthly and needing to sell more issues. It's probably a term of Joe Weider's creation. Truth is as likely people change for the MENTAL stimulation and NOT physical. If whatever you're currently doing for (for example) your biceps works then KEEP ON DOING IT until it doesn't.

One final point that newbies especially need to make note of is don't keep doping the same reps, sets and poundage and then bitch 'it's not working'. Well D'UH! How many times do we see log with the EXACT same workout as last month. Even if, as I say, the overall workout stays as is while it works you MUST up something.Poundage, volume, time under tension etc. You CANNOT grow etc if the stimulus remains the same. It does NOT mean you need to use new exercises etc. That can and does still mean piss poor results
CoffeeS

Post by CoffeeS »

I switch out my routines every 12 to 16 weeks. The bulk I am on now is planned for 8 weeks, I may extend to 10 weeks. I have had to adjust the routine a little here and there to get a better workout. The low rep and high weight isn't a favorite of mine. I seem to respond better on the high sets and reps at lower weights. But I am still learning, am older so I need to pay attention to proper form to reduce injury.
CoffeeS

Post by CoffeeS »

newby here - this is a year old post....
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

CoffeeS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:22 pm newby here - this is a year old post....
Info is still valid and anyone looking can see the date.

From your reply above it's not clear if you change 'just cos I like to' every 12-16 weeks or cos it stops working then.
CoffeeS

Post by CoffeeS »

I feel it slows down considerably a 10-12 weeks and stops working. Kind of gets boring.

Changing up the exercises / routine for me helps continue growth and motivation.
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

While it's possible you might be an outlier most are not. Ergo if your plan is to 'bulk' (adding fat and muscle vs a lean bulk - just muscle) you'd be better served not doing what's got you only so far to date (possibly as a result of habit??) ie: ''high sets and reps at lower weights''.

Simply put and a trick many coaches do with new clients - high sets and reps at lower weights to date got you to where you wanna bulk. So LESS sets and a moderate, if not as high as I do (strength focused), weight and medium (8-12 reps) rep range. In other words the opposite. It's one thing to change exercises and hope for new stimulus and so gains and another to change HOW you train too. Even if just for a short period of time.

Let me give you an idea. In one podcast I did we talked about the 'mythology' of what MIGHT happen at Oxygen gym cos so many pros were, at that time, going there and coming back bigger. There were a bunch of aspects:
1) They are watched regarding food. Like your mum saying 'eat all your dinner'. So NO missed meals
2) Yes PEDs, inc Peptides etc were good to go but not anymore well sourced than at home. No secret labs or special drugs
3) Trained then rest and rehab. Like f'all else to do. So no distractions
But...
4) Training WAS spoken about. One whole floor of the HQ gym is just leg kit. Two to three people helping rack, load etc. And a coach mentioned how a) you're pushed HARD b) if you did 12 normally and called it hard he had you doing 16 reps then drop sets etc.

Most 'bulks' are best served by using compounds to work then bigger muscle groups. Not by doing what you did last week.
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

CoffeeS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:31 pm I feel it slows down considerably a 10-12 weeks and stops working. Kind of gets boring.

Changing up the exercises / routine for me helps continue growth and motivation.
Mental. And possibly why it stops working cos you aren't keen to keep on at it

I'll be clear, as per my own log on this forum and others, I rotate through three workouts just for legs. If only cos some exercises are so heavy it'd do me no favours to keep pounding away. Nothing to say you can't do that too. 16 weeks would become 48.

I also cycle up and down in strength/weight lifted. For the same reasons - I can't keep hammering away at 400lbs plus on the bench and not expect to get no issues. I gotta back off. It'll mean more volume (relative to my bigger load levels) at the start and less at the end.

I'm old enough, at 59, to recall how many lads would change their arm routine cos a new routine was in the latest issue of whatever bodybuilding magazine they read. Few knew that the best writers weren't that muscular. Truth should be 'what works' vs what doesn't. And no one, no matter how often they switch it up and or with the best genetics in the world, keep getting 'better' non stop.