Recipe of the Week

Nutrition questions, info, meal propping and recipes
Push50

Recipe of the Week

Post by Push50 »

So, I know all you guys out there like to eat. Even if we have to eat a clean diet most of the time, having a Cheat meal is always an awesome thing. I know that for my self, a cheat meal will help me to be hones on my diet through out the week and gives me something to look forward to on a Saturday or Sunday.

So I will start this show and anyone that would like to contribute, please do so. I would also ask that if someone tries a recipe from here, give a shout out to the OP and please post lots of pics as well.

Push50

Re: Recipe of the Week

Post by Push50 »

TexMex Texas Red Chili Gravy

The following recipe is for Enchiladas with a Texas Red Chili Gravy. This is an authentic TexMex recipe. Texas Red Chili Gravy? This is what some of you may call Enchilada Sauce. Chili gravy is a simplification of Chile con carne, which is the state dish of Texas. Growing up we called it Red Chili Gravy and hands down; it is one of the best enchilada sauces around. Robust and bursting with flavor. I haven’t bought canned sauce since i rediscovered this gem. One important note is that to be True to TexMex Authenticity, do not use flour tortillas in this recipe, corn tortillas are the only way to go.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 cups

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup oil or butter (can use canola or olive oil)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups beef broth (can sub with another type) use a LOW or NO SODIUM
1 tablespoon tomato paste

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat Oil: Heat the oil or butter in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
Make Roux: Add in the flour and stir to mix. Will be a thick mixture. Allow this to cook for just 1-2 minutes.
Season: Add in the spices. Stir to form a thick paste.
Heat: Stir in the broth and tomato paste. Stir until smooth. Continue to heat while stirring for several minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened. Keep the heat to just below a simmer.

HOW TO STORE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
This sauce can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days. Just give the jar a shake before using.
To freeze this enchilada sauce: add to freezer resealable bags, lay flat in the freezer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, you can easily stack the bags. Can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the enchilada sauce into the refrigerator overnight. Reheat the sauce in a skillet.
At this point you can fill the enchiladas with meat or cheese. I do some of each and can eat 4 of eat. Usually this is made as a cheat meal. For obvious reasons.
Enchilada Meat Filling
INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt-Optional
3/4 - 2 teaspoons Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dried Cilantro
1 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder

The directions here are self-explanatory. Cook the meat and season it.
If you want cheese enchiladas I say, go for it. Forget about the meat filling. As far as the cheese for the enchiladas, I like a mild- medium cheddar. It seems to melt easily and provides that stringy stretch when lifting it to your mouth. Make sure to finely dice some onions to add in with the cheese or you will not get the honest taste of this dish. And don’t forget to p that cheese in there. Fill them up.

Hany-Support

Post by Hany-Support »

Push50 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:56 pm TexMex Texas Red Chili Gravy

The following recipe is for Enchiladas with a Texas Red Chili Gravy. This is an authentic TexMex recipe. Texas Red Chili Gravy? This is what some of you may call Enchilada Sauce. Chili gravy is a simplification of Chile con carne, which is the state dish of Texas. Growing up we called it Red Chili Gravy and hands down; it is one of the best enchilada sauces around. Robust and bursting with flavor. I haven’t bought canned sauce since i rediscovered this gem. One important note is that to be True to TexMex Authenticity, do not use flour tortillas in this recipe, corn tortillas are the only way to go.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 cups

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup oil or butter (can use canola or olive oil)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups beef broth (can sub with another type) use a LOW or NO SODIUM
1 tablespoon tomato paste

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat Oil: Heat the oil or butter in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
Make Roux: Add in the flour and stir to mix. Will be a thick mixture. Allow this to cook for just 1-2 minutes.
Season: Add in the spices. Stir to form a thick paste.
Heat: Stir in the broth and tomato paste. Stir until smooth. Continue to heat while stirring for several minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened. Keep the heat to just below a simmer.

HOW TO STORE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
This sauce can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days. Just give the jar a shake before using.
To freeze this enchilada sauce: add to freezer resealable bags, lay flat in the freezer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, you can easily stack the bags. Can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the enchilada sauce into the refrigerator overnight. Reheat the sauce in a skillet.
At this point you can fill the enchiladas with meat or cheese. I do some of each and can eat 4 of eat. Usually this is made as a cheat meal. For obvious reasons.
Enchilada Meat Filling
INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt-Optional
3/4 - 2 teaspoons Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dried Cilantro
1 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder

The directions here are self-explanatory. Cook the meat and season it.
If you want cheese enchiladas I say, go for it. Forget about the meat filling. As far as the cheese for the enchiladas, I like a mild- medium cheddar. It seems to melt easily and provides that stringy stretch when lifting it to your mouth. Make sure to finely dice some onions to add in with the cheese or you will not get the honest taste of this dish. And don’t forget to p that cheese in there. Fill them up.

Oh my gosh, I might have to try this, it sounds and looks appetizing.

Have you had a chance to eat it?

Isn't it too spicy?
>> If you want to repay our help on the Forum.
> Please follow and recommend our Social Media to others:

>-https://www.instagram.com/xsteroidscom/ :-bd
>https://www.facebook.com/xsteroids
:-bd
Push50

Post by Push50 »

Instapot Barbacoa Venison on Romaine Lettuce with Pico and Cheddar Cheese

This is a simple recipe to follow. I think you'll love just how easy it is and that it can be done in an hour. Prepping the lettuce and Pico can be done while cooking the Roast.

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes

Ingredients

3 lbs Venison Roast
2 canned chipotles in adobo sauce use 3-4 if you want it hotter
1 cup beef broth ( you can substitute any liquid, orang juice, apple juce)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2 bay leaves

Instructions

Brown the roast on both sides, you can use the sauté (Instapot) or browning function in your electric pressure cooker for this or just use a large skillet and brown it on the stove. If you like the sauce a little thicker you can add a tablespoon of corn starch to the mix on the sauté setting after you are finished cooking the roast.

Add all ingredients; the canned adobos, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cloves, beef broth, and lime juice and bay leaves to the pot roast.

Lock the lid, turn the steam release vent to 'sealing' and using the 'manual' or 'pressure cook' setting, adjust it to cook for 55 minutes at High Pressure. With the Instapot you can use the “Meat/Stew” setting and adjust the time to 55 minutes, this will set you on Normal/High.

When the cooking time is up, allow the unit to reduce pressure on its own without opening the steam release vent (Natural Release) for 15 minutes, then release the remaining pressure and open the lid.
The Pico is simple as well. I just use:
4 - jalapenos
1/2 Medium Onion
2 - Tomatoes
4 Garlic cloves and a little cilantro.

Pull the meat apart into the sauce and serve with tortillas, over a bowl of Instant Pot Cilantro Lime rice or serve in romaine lettuce leaf’s. Don't forget to add the Pico and Cheese!!!
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

My home made ice cream (this one is lemon)

Base: 2 large eggs, half pint of double cream, a 1/2 cup of milk and the same of sugar. - add 1 teaspoon of lemon flavoring - mix. Makes about 600ml

Add 200ml to ice cream machioe and dessert spoon of lemon curd - mix n freeze

Add mix to vessel and another dollop of lemon curd. Add meringue bits and a squirt of lemon sherbet drizzle. Add a lemon meringue kiss

600ml is enough for 3 big servings
Push50

Post by Push50 »

Southern Salmon Patties are an inexpensive meal and an easy recipe to make. The canned recipe costs less than five dollars and is quick to get on the table. This Deep South dish is made with breadcrumbs and fries up fast. 
PREP TIME
10 minutes
COOK TIME
10 minutes
TOTAL TIME
20 minutes

Ingredients

* 1 - 14.75 oz. can pink salmon
* 1/2 onion (chopped)
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
* 1 tsp. lemon juice
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. ground pepper

Instructions
Add vegetable oil to a skillet and preheat medium to medium-high. Add enough oil to cover half of the salmon patty.
1. Drain the juice off the can of salmon. (Save in case the juice is needed later)
2. Check for bones.
3. Add the chopped onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
4. Mix together and shape into patties.
5. Place in Air Fryer Fry for approximately five minutes on each side, or until each side is browned
Push50

Post by Push50 »

Chicken stuffed shells

So, this week I wanted to look at a pasta dish. This is an easy recipe that anyone can make. I absolutely love Chicken Alfredo, but it is not the healthiest of meals. When I am on a cycle and want a cheat meal, this is one of the meals that I crave. I do not eat out a lot and prefer that my wife or I prepare my cheat meals. This recipe is creamy, delicious, and made with heavy cream.

I like to pan sear my chicken breast, but you can use grilled, baked, or even rotisserie chicken.
Sauce Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup butter
2 tbls. Cream Cheese
1-1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic cloves, garlic purée or garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 – 12 oz. package of pasta Shells cooked according to package directions.

Instructions

Cook pasta according to the package directions.
In a saucepan, cook garlic in butter over medium heat. Add the cream and cream cheese once the garlic becomes fragrant.
When the butter and cream become bubbly, add Parmesan cheese, and stir. Turn up the heat slightly and continue to stir. The sauce will thicken.

Filling
15 ounces ricotta cheese
1 cup of cottage cheese
2 cups, mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon parsley
2 chicken breast; pan roasted and shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together

In a 13” x 9” backing pan fill the shells with filling.
Spoon sauce over shells.
Top with 1 cup Mozzarella.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes on 350F.

And you cannot forget to pick up something sweet for dessert. I picked up a 6 pack of cookies from Crumbl because that is one of my wife's favorites. To me, these cookies are extremely sweet. I usually only eat about a quarter of 3-4 cookies, about the equivalent of one cookie. But dang! They are tasty.
Push50

Post by Push50 »

All right my brother. Here is another very easy meal. This can be used for meal prep or for a dinner meal. Doesn't really matter when you have it, it is delicious.

This is Green Bean Chicken.

I double this recipe if I am doing meal prep. So I use 3 lbs. Chicken breast and double the marinade and sauce. Another thing that you might notice when you look at the pic of the vegetables, I cook on my grill a lot. A LOT!! It keep messes in the kitchen to a minimum and makes clean up a fricking Breeze.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 1/4 pounds green beans
    1-2 White Onions
    4 - 6 Jalapenos
    Cooking oil
I usually use peanut oil or avocado oil because they can handle high heat. When you cook your vegetables and chicken, you want the high heat to help seal in the flavors. Without high heat on the veggies, they can become a soggy mushy mess.

Marinade
• 3 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons dry sherry
• 1 clove garlic

Sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (white vinegar or rice vinegar also fine)
• 3 tablespoons soy sauce (Kikkoman is best)
• 1 tablespoon sherry
• 1 clove garlic

Optional
• Dash sesame oil - Provides a unique Flavor
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated- Some people do not like ginger but it has its place
• Crushed red pepper flakes or Dries red Chilis if you like it spicy

Directions
1. If starting with frozen chicken breasts, set in bowl of cold water to defrost.
2. Take end off green beans and wash.
3. Rinse rice in several changes of water until water is mostly clear. Add fresh water for cooking and set aside.
4. Dice chicken into bite-sized pieces (approx 1/2-inch cubes). Place diced chicken in bowl.
5. Add marinade ingredients to chicken – soy sauce, sherry, garlic (chopped or pressed through garlic press). Stir well to distribute marinade.
6. Refrigerate chicken. If you can refrigerate the chicken in the marinade over night, it can absorb more of the flavor .
7. Start rice to cook before starting stir fry.
8. Prepare stir fry sauce (note: you can double the stir fry sauce if you prefer a saucier stir fry). Add brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sherry and garlic (again chopped or pressed through garlic press) in small bowl. You can also add fresh ginger if you have it.
9. Add cornstarch and stir well, pressing out any lumps until sauce has a consistent milky brown color.
10. Heat two tablespoons of oil in an large skillet over medium-high heat.
11. Add green beans. If green beans don’t fit in one batch, cook half at a time. Use long tongs to turn beans over while cooking so that they do not burn.
12. If beans are particularly thick, add two tablespoons of water to pan and cover skillet for a couple of minutes to steam-cook beans to desired tenderness. Do not overcook, as beans will go back in the pan briefly later.
13. Remove beans from pan.
14. Add two more tablespoons of oil to pan. Add chicken and stir to separate pieces.
15. When chicken is cooked (turns from pink to white), add prepared stir fry sauce and stir. Sauce will quickly turn from milky light brown to glossy dark brown as it cooks.
16. Add string beans and stir to combine. Add dash of sesame oil if desired.
17. Remove chicken and string beans to serving dish.
18. Serve over rice.

LETS EAT!!!!~
Push50

Post by Push50 »

Four Ingredient Meat Loaf!!!

So this was a busy weekend. With Spring Time Hitting there is always more and more to do. Especially, The Honey Do's!!!!
This is where todays recipe comes into play.

This is one of the easiest recipes for meatloaf that you will ever find.
This is an, “In a Pinch” type of recipe that you should only use well, In a Pinch!!
I do not eat too many things that are processed, and I do not recommend anyone else to do so either. Take the time to enjoy cooking and have some fun with it.
Now this is a Four Ingredient Recipe, however, I like to top my Meatloaf with Cumin, paprika and Siracha. This give it a little bit of a blast and a pop when eating it. So technically that would make it a 7-ingredient recipe.

Ingredients
1 box Stove Top Stuffing (any flavor)
1 pound Ground Beef, Chicken, Turkey or like in this case, Venison.
2 eggs
1/2 cup water (I prefer vegetable Stock; it seems to enhance the flavor of the seasonings in the stuffing)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bread loaf pan.
In a large bowl, mix the dry stuffing mix, ground beef, eggs, and water.
Fill the prepared pan (8.5” x 4.5” Loaf Pan) with your mixture and use your hands to evenly squish it down into the pan. If you are using beef, chicken, or turkey you will want to use this type of a pan. If you don’t, the meat will slump down and usually ends up short and wide. I use the venison and add 20% fat to it. It still holds its shape remarkably well. Keep in mind that if its just you eating it doesn’t really matter what it looks like.
Top it with whatever combination of sauces you prefer or leave it dry.
Bake for 45-60 minutes (it takes about 50 minutes in my oven).
Give the meat a little time to relax before slicing it into it. The meat will absorb and maintain its moisture better this way. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggies, salad, or whatever you want and like.

Push50

Post by Push50 »

Instant Pot Ribs
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour
SERVINGS 4 servings

These easy Instant Pot ribs are tender fall-off-the-bone delicious, quick, and easy. This is a way to have fresh Ribs even mid-week when work and life are hectic.
Ingredients
1 rack baby back ribs about 1 ½- 2 pounds
1 cup broth, Vegetable Stock, Water, Apple Juice. Whatever you want to use is great here. Even Beer.

Dry Rub
1 Tbls Smoked Paprika
½ Tbls Spanish Paprika
½ Tbls Paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper Corns “Cracked”
2 teaspoons oregano

Instructions
Rinse and pat dry the rack of ribs. Use a knife to lift the edge of the thin membrane from the back of the ribs and remove it.

Add a trivet or rack to the bottom of your Instant Pot and pour in broth or water.

Cover the slab with Honey the cover generously with the rub. Roll the slab up enough to fit it into the Instant Pot.
Stand the ribs upright on the rack

Close the Instant Pot lid and select manual high pressure. Set the timer for 20 – 25 minutes (25 minutes for extra thick ribs).
When the timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to natural release for 15 minutes. Open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
Coat with BBQ Sauce if so desired or just use the Rub.

Place the Slab in the Preheated Broiler or on a hot Grill.

They will already be done and tender, so this step is strictly to Char the surface.
If broiling, line a large baking pan with foil and place the ribs 4 to 6 inches from the broiler. If grilling, place the ribs directly on the grill. Cook until slightly charred, about 3 to 5 minutes.