More sleep can double your testosterone level

Cycle help, AAS info, general information & exchange of opinions

Vision

Post by Vision »

Older men can sometimes double their testosterone levels by getting more sleep, according to a human study that Plamen Penev of the University of Chicago published in Sleep.

Not enough sleep

Nearly all of us probably get too little sleep, mainly because we are seduced every day by the technology around us. It enables us to generate light at night, provides us with 24-hour entertainment and information through electronic media, and makes it possible for us to have contact with each other whenever we want. Every evening, when our body tells us that it's time to sleep, we can also do a thousand other things instead.

Sleep & hormones
Too little sleep messes up our hormone balance. It makes our body less sensitive to insulin for example. Dutch researchers recently showed that after just one night of four hours' sleep, young men's insulin sensitivity went down by twenty percent [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Jun;95(6):2963-8.] and that of diabetics by a quarter. content=%2fjcem%2farticle%2f95%2f6%2f2963%2f2598810]https://academic.oup.com/crawlpreventio ... %2f2598810[/url]
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/7/1573

In the latter case, lack of sleep is clinically relevant, so doctors could advise diabetics who react insufficiently to their medicines to get more sleep. "Sleep duration might become another therapeutic target to improve glucoregulation in type 1 diabetes", the Dutch researchers say.

Sleep & testosterone
Testosterone is also affected by amount of sleep. That's not so strange, as our bodies make much more testosterone when they're asleep than when they're awake. https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/90/8/4530/3058888 We've taken the figure below from the study mentioned here. It shows how much testosterone is present in the blood of 22-32 year-old men while asleep and during the rest of the day.

The better men sleep, the higher their testosterone level rises while they are asleep.https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/86/3/1134/2847605

In the average male over forty, the testosterone level goes down by 1-2 percent per year, but researchers occasionally come across men in their eighties with a testosterone level you'd expect in a young man. Add to that the fact that many older men – but not all men – sleep less and less deeply as they get older, then you automatically think of the idea that Plamen Penev wanted to test in his study: does the testosterone level decrease in older men because they sleep less?

Penev based his theory on, among other things, research done by Eve Van Cauter, a sleep researcher at the University of Chicago who has celebrity status in the field of endocrinology. Van Cauter discovered early in the 21st century that men in their forties make less testosterone while sleeping than men in their twenties.https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/88/7/3160/2845326
Study
Penev measured the amount of testosterone 12 slim, healthy, non-smoking men aged between 64 and 74 had in their blood in the morning. He also got the men to wear a small gadget around their wrist, which enabled him to see how many hours per night the men slept. That varied from 4.5 to 7.5 per 24 hours. The longer the men slept, the figures below show, the more testosterone there was circulating in their blood.

The men that slept the least had a testosterone level of 200-300 ng/dl. That's a normal amount for men of this age, but it's on the low side. The men in the study who slept the most had a testosterone level that was twice as high: 500-700 ng/dl. That's a level you'd expect in healthy young men.

Conclusion
"These findings suggest that complaints of poor or insufficient sleep in otherwise healthy older men can be associated with a more pronounced age-related androgen decline", writes Penev. "Eliciting such sleep complaints in the physician's office may facilitate the judicious interpretation of lower testosterone levels in the older male patient."

Before men consider doing testosterone therapy, they might first measure the amount of sleep they get. And 'measuring' is different from 'guessing' or 'estimating'. Most people overestimate the number of hours that they sleep. This was also the case in Penev's study. The men thought that they slept seven and a quarter hours per day on average, but Penev's recordings showed that they only slept six hours a day.

Source:
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/88/7/3160/2845326

www.PuritySourceLabs.ru
At PSL you will explore our Vision and Core Values –
Here you trust what you believe in and expect, the lowest prices & the highest quality compounds.

MONSTRO

Re: More sleep can double your testosterone level

Post by MONSTRO »

This is why Sleep / Rest is one of the 3 basics , and probably the one that people think is not so important . They always talk about eat alot and train very hard but they forgot sleep is so important to improve. For me all 3 basics need to be done 100% if we need results and gains. Have a great night of sleep , best from 22h to 6am and a good nap before or after workout do wonders for you.
Vision

Post by Vision »

MONSTRO wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:39 pm This is why Sleep / Rest is one of the 3 basics , and probably the one that people think is not so important . They always talk about eat alot and train very hard but they forgot sleep is so important to improve. For me all 3 basics need to be done 100% if we need results and gains. Have a great night of sleep , best from 22h to 6am and a good nap before or after workout do wonders for you.
THS RIGH HERE.. so many people focus on training, and not realizing its all about sleep more than anything. people can have exceptional results with a decent stimulation routine, good diet and LOTS of sleep and grow faster and bigger than someone that sleighs the weights for 75 minutes with all they have. What's the point in training if someone is hardly sleeping?

if sleep is an issue, people need to take time out and correct this before anything else..

and naps, like you said, naps are a must if someone has the time.. even just closing your eyes for a fast power nap 10-15 mins here and there, if work is in the way, do it on lunch break, pound your food and take a quick shut eye.
www.PuritySourceLabs.ru
Here you trust what you believe in and expect, the lowest prices & the highest quality compounds.

MONSTRO

Post by MONSTRO »

Vision wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:33 pm
MONSTRO wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:39 pm This is why Sleep / Rest is one of the 3 basics , and probably the one that people think is not so important . They always talk about eat alot and train very hard but they forgot sleep is so important to improve. For me all 3 basics need to be done 100% if we need results and gains. Have a great night of sleep , best from 22h to 6am and a good nap before or after workout do wonders for you.
THS RIGH HERE.. so many people focus on training, and not realizing its all about sleep more than anything. people can have exceptional results with a decent stimulation routine, good diet and LOTS of sleep and grow faster and bigger than someone that sleighs the weights for 75 minutes with all they have. What's the point in training if someone is hardly sleeping?

if sleep is an issue, people need to take time out and correct this before anything else..

and naps, like you said, naps are a must if someone has the time.. even just closing your eyes for a fast power nap 10-15 mins here and there, if work is in the way, do it on lunch break, pound your food and take a quick shut eye.
I always said this , even when i was natural. The night i have bad sleep i wake up soft muscles and bloated with water retention , and of course many other bad thinks like fell tired all day , no energy , high levels of irritation . When i sleep deeply like when i take Eurotropin i wake up full, hard, and same time dryer .

We know all begins on training because without stimulation you cant have results , but how you can train intense if you dont sleep enough and are tired . If i train tired i will not push the same as when im rested . That´s why many bodybuilders take a nap before workout to recharge is battery´s.

I know some beginners with great genetics that train very hard but in weekend they go party and lose all they gain.

To have results is a perfect combination of all factors ( rest, train, diet, anabolics )
Vision

Post by Vision »

Let's talk more about sleep..

on average how much is everyone getting a night, just a ball park number..
www.PuritySourceLabs.ru

MONSTRO

Post by MONSTRO »

I go sleep at 00:30h and wake up at 09:30h , so nine hours but i go pee many times